We know how difficult and stressful a breakdown of relationship can be. We offer a highly professional service to you with empathy and expertise to help you deal with associated legal matters including marriage and divorce, treatment of children and finances.
Our dedicated team will guide you through the process and will apply their skills and experience to find the solutions that are right for you whether that is through negotiation, mediation or a court order.
How much will my divorce cost?
To commence divorce proceedings you will incur a fixed court fee of £550.00 which cover the filing of a divorce petition and the application for the decree nisi and the final decree absolute.
Where we can, we encourage parties to agree their settlements without the need for contested court proceedings and in an amicable fashion as this is usually quicker and cheaper for both you and your estranged spouse. Where necessary we can make an application to the courts and argue your case to achieve the best possible result.
The costs of instructing our firm will depend on a number of issues:
- Non-confrontational approach by both parties to avoid court proceedings
- The complexity of financial assets i.e. portfolio of properties, family business or complicated pensions
- Whether both parties share the same views on sharing assets and agreeing arrangements for children.
- Whether there is multi-jurisdictional aspect of your case i.e. divorce papers to be served in two countries.
In certain circumstances it will be necessary to prove to the Court that your spouse has received the divorce papers. If this involves Process Server or enquiry agent, then you may incur additional costs.
Furthermore should it be necessary to attend court hearing, we will need to instruct a barrister on your behalf to attend at court and support your case. We will of course inform you at the earliest opportunity of any such expenses.
How we charge for our services
At the first meeting with one of our lawyers we provide an estimate of charges for the initial work and an assessment of what it will cost to finalise a divorce.
We charge by the hour and bill monthly for a service that is bespoke to each client and their circumstances. For some client we can arrange monthly payment on account of costs which is used to pay or offset invoices as they are generated to aid you with your matter.
Fixed fee divorce cost
This service is suitable for those clients who have agreed arrangements for the children and for financial settlement but would like the reassurance that their matter is handled by a law firm.
Brar & Co offer this service for £600.00 + VAT @ 20% (£720.00) + Court Fee £550.00 = £1270.00.
Our service under the fixed fee arrangement does not include any of the following complicating factors:
- Problems with the service of the proceedings
- Financial disputes and/or applications
- Child arrangements orders
We anticipate that the Court fee may increase in the near future, however no specific date has yet been decided by Her Majesty’s Court Service (HMCTS).
If you require us to act inclusive of financial arrangements and arrangements for children or other Family Law work then our rates are as follows:
Our charges are based on the time we spend dealing with a case. Time spent on your affairs will include meetings with you and perhaps others; any time spent travelling; considering, preparing and working on papers; sending and receiving correspondence and email and the making and receiving of telephone calls.
Our hourly charging rate for each hour engaged on your matter is normally £180.00 in your case.
- Routine letters and emails that we write and routine telephone calls that we make and receive will be charged as units of one tenth of an hour, £18.00;
- Other letters and telephone calls will be charged on a time basis;
- Attendances upon you and/or third parties and preparation & consideration of documentation will be charged as units of one tenth of an hour, £18.00;
We will add VAT to our charge at the rate that applies when the work is done. Currently VAT is 20%.
If you would like to make an enquiry on any of our services above, please call 0191 2766880 or alternatively, please complete our online enquiry service to receive a bespoke estimate of services.